Acceptance of BBSRC Executive Chair blog rules
The Blog is fully moderated. Every comment submitted to the Blog will be checked by us for compliance with our Content Standards before it is published. We will try to publish as many comments as we can but we cannot guarantee that all comments will be published. We also cannot guarantee how quickly comments will be posted on the Blog as this will depend on other editorial commitments.
Although the Blog is fully moderated, we are under no obligation to you or any other person to oversee, monitor or moderate the Blog or any other service we provide on our site and we may stop moderating the Blog at any time. We reserve the right to remove, or to disable access to, any comment which we deem to be potentially defamatory of any person or which we deem unlawful or in violation of any third party rights. We expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of the Blog by any person in contravention of these Rules.
Use of the blog by minors
The use of the Blog by a minor is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use the Blog that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online. Minors who are using the Blog should be made aware of the potential risks to them and of their obligation to comply with these Rules when using the Blog.
We will do our best to assess any possible risks to minors from third parties when they use the Blog, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks.
Submission of comments
To add a comment to a discussion:
- you must first log on to the Blog using your registered details
- once logged in to the Blog, click through to the individual blog you wish to add a comment to
- enter your comment into the text box and click the ‘submit comment ’ button
- once your comment has been approved it will be published to the site
To enable us to publish comments from as many different people as possible, please refrain from posting multiple comments. Multiple comments may discourage others who might otherwise wish to take part.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
- Be accurate (where they state facts)
- Be genuinely held (where they state opinions)
- Be relevant
- Comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted
Contributions must not:
- Contain any material which is defamatory of any person
- Contain any swearing or any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory
- Promote sexually explicit material
- Promote violence
- Promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age
- Infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person
- Be likely to deceive any person
- Be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence
- Promote any illegal activity
- Be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety
- Be likely to harass any other person
- Be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person
- Give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case
- Advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse
- Be in contempt of court
- Contain a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be, published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism
- Contain any advertising
By submitting a contribution to the Blog, you agree to grant BBSRC a non-exclusive licence to use that contribution. Although you will still own the copyright in this contribution, BBSRC will have the right to freely use, edit, alter, reproduce, publish and/or distribute the material contained in your contribution. This licence will be free of charge, perpetual and capable of sub-licence. BBSRC may exercise all copyright and publicity rights in the material contained in your contribution in all jurisdictions, to their full extent and for the full period for which any such rights exist in that material.
Please also note that, in accordance with the Content Standards, you must ensure that your contribution does not infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person. By submitting your contribution to the Blog, you are warranting that you have the right to grant BBSRC the non-exclusive copyright licence described above.
If you are not in a position to grant such a licence to BBSRC, please do not submit the contribution to the Blog.
Breach of these rules
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use the Blog
- Immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any Comment already posted on the Blog
- Issue of a warning to you
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach
- Further legal action against you
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law
We exclude our liability for all action we may take in response to breaches of these Rules. The actions described above are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
If you wish to complain about any Comment posted to the Blog, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then review the Comment and decide whether it complies with our Content Standards. We will deal with any Comment which, in our opinion, violates our Content Standards as described above (see section "Breach of these Rules"). We will inform you of the outcome of our review within a reasonable time of receiving your complaint.
Changes to these rules
We may revise these Rules at any time. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you.