We are the central coordinators of the ERA-NET on Coordinating Action in Plant Sciences (ERA-CAPS). ERA-CAPS follows on from ERA-PG, which ran from 2004-09, but has a broader remit covering molecular plant sciences. It was funded through the European Commission’s Framework Programme 7 (FP7) from 2012-15, and is now a self-sustained network supported by its member funding organisations.
ERA-CAPS' principal objective is to:
- increase coordination and unite the resources of predominantly European research funding agencies with those of an enlarged Europe and beyond, to enable a pooling of scientific and economic capabilities of member countries
This engenders the creation and coordination of sustainable transnational plant science research programmes to meet the global challenges of food security and sustainability.
The programme focuses on a number of complementary mechanisms for achieving this:
- Transnational coordination and integration of national plant science programmes
- Joint funding of a transnational research programme
- Networking with other European and international (plant science) initiatives
Now in its self-sustained phase, ERA-CAPS comprises 20 partners and observers, representing 18 different countries.
- Fonds Zur Förderung Der Wissenschaftlichen Forschung (FWF), Austria
- Fonds National de la Recherche Scientifique F.R.S. (FNRS), Belgium
- Innovation Fund Denmark (IFD), Denmark
- Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR), France
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), Germany
- National Science Centre (NCN), Poland
- Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT), Portugal
- Ministarstvo prosvete, nauke i tehnološkog razvoja (MPNTR), Serbia
- Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF), Switzerland
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), United Kingdom
- National Science Foundation (NSF), USA
- European Plant Science Organisation (EPSO)
- Estonian Research Council (ETAG), Estonia
- Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MOARD), Israel
- Ministero delle Politiche Agricole, Alimentari e Forestali (MiPAAF), Italy
- Ministero dell’Istruzione, dell’Università e della Ricerca (MIUR), Italy
- Latvijas Zinatnu Akademija (LZA), Latvia
- Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (NWO), Netherlands
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE), New Zealand
- Norges Forskningsrad (RCN), Norway
During its FP7 phase, ERA-CAPS launched two joint funding calls. These supported 26 transnational collaborative research projects between participating countries totalling over €40M. In 2016, the self-sustained ERA-CAPS network launched its third joint call.