European Research Area Networks (ERA-Nets)
European Research Area Networks (ERA-Nets) bring together predominantly European national funding agencies to provide a mechanism for the design and implementation of transnational activities. Of these activities, the most common is funding joint calls to facilitate collaborative research in specific themes.
The European Commission has funded ERA-Nets since 2003. In that time the instrument has taken on a number of different forms: ERA-Net, ERA-Net Plus and now, through Horizon 2020, ERA-Net Cofund. ERA-Nets serve to enhance collaboration while reducing fragmentation and duplication of effort across the European Research Area and beyond.
BBSRC takes an active role in ERA-Nets which are strategically important and provide the bioscience community with opportunities to apply for funding for collaborative, transnational research in key areas.
The ERA-Nets that BBSRC is currently involved in are:
- ANIWHA – Animal Health and Welfare ERA-Net
- BESTF – Bioenergy Sustaining the Future
- ERA-CAPS – ERA-Net for Coordinating Action in Plant Sciences
- ERA CoBioTech
- ERA-Net Bioenergy
- ERA-IB – ERA-Net Industrial Biotechnology
- ERA-HDHL – ERA-Net Healthy Diet for a Healthy Life
- ERA-Net SusAn – ERA-Net on Sustainable Animal Production
- ERA-SynBio – ERA-Net in Synthetic Biology
- FACCE ERA-Net Plus – ERANET+ call on climate smart agriculture