Impact Awards for KEC professionals
RCUK and PraxisUnico are working together to highlight how the excellent work being done in the field of Knowledge Exchange and Commercialisation contributes significantly to the UK's position as a world-leading destination to research, innovate and grow business.
The Impact Awards highlight best practice and innovative approaches to KEC in UK research organisations and beyond, showcasing the vital contribution made by KEC professionals in developing excellent research into tangible, real-life benefits to society and business. By working with their academic colleagues, KEC professionals, help bring to life early investment in research for the benefit of the economy and society.
PraxisUnico and the Research Councils are working together to facilitate the sharing of best practice, and to acknowledge and celebrate the work that Knowledge Exchange and Commercialisation (KEC) professionals do in enabling impact from UK research organisations.
The competition recognises four different categories:
- Contribution to Business: recognising the outstanding contribution that knowledge exchange, knowledge transfer and/or commercialisation activities have had in benefitting (or have the potential to benefit) a company and/or the economy
- Contribution to Society: recognising the outstanding contribution that knowledge exchange, knowledge transfer or commercialisation activities have had in benefitting (or have the potential to benefit) society
- Outstanding KEC initiative: recognising how an innovative approach to knowledge exchange and commercialisation has the potential to be transformative for the community of KEC professionals
- International Award: recognising outstanding KEC practices, or contribution to business or society by institutions outside of the UK
The overall competition winner will be drawn from the first three categories. The competition winner will be awarded 'KEC team of the year' and will receive £50,000 award money. Only those institutions eligible to receive RCUK funding are eligible to receive the monetary award.
Previous awards: 2014
Winner: King's College London
Michael Hill-King, Director of Partnerships & Consultancy at King's College London said: "Winning this award is fantastic. It validates the innovative approaches we have deployed to help our researchers get impact from their activities. This award will help us to build on the successes we have had in the biosciences."
Winner: Queen Mary University of London
Cath Lavery, Head of Business Development at Queen Mary University of London commented: "It is wonderful that the collaborative efforts of our professional services teams across the university have been recognised with this BBSRC Activating Impact award. By working together we have achieved a great deal and this award will help us to roll out new initiatives to support our BBSRC-funded researchers to maximise the impact of their research."
Research Councils UK (RCUK) is the strategic partnership of the UK's seven Research Councils who annually invest around £3Bn in research. We support excellent research, as judged by peer review, that has an impact on the growth, prosperity and wellbeing of the UK. To maintain the UK's global research position we offer a diverse range of funding opportunities, foster international collaborations and provide access to the best facilities and infrastructure around the world. We also support the training and career development of researchers and work with them to inspire young people and engage the wider public with research. To maximise the impact of research on economic growth and societal wellbeing we work in partnership with other research funders including Innovate UK, the UK Higher Education funding bodies, business, government, and charitable organisations.
The seven UK Research Councils are:
- Arts & Humanities Research Council (AHRC)
- Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Economic & Social Research Council (ESRC)
- Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- Science & Technology Facilities Council (STFC)
PraxisUnico is the UK's leading professional association for research commercialisation practitioners. It provides a voice for the sector and facilitates interactions between public sector research, business and government. PraxisUnico delivers professional training programmes around the world, promoting best practice knowledge transfer.