NCDs Foundation Awards: Global Health Science - Beyond Infections
Cross-Council initiative led by MRC
Call status: Closed
Previous call: 13 May 2016 - 22 September 2016
Research Councils UK has received a very high volume of expressions of interest to the Global Challenges Research Fund (GCRF) Foundation Award calls. We’d like to thank the research community for engaging so thoroughly with calls and to state we appreciate the work that it takes to put together a proposal, even in outline form.
We sincerely regret that we cannot provide individual feedback to applicants to the GCRF Foundation Awards. Although we anticipated and outlined that we would provide generic rather than individual feedback to each applicant, we acknowledge this is not the preference of some of our stakeholders and we will learn from this phase of the programme.
BBSRC will be contributing up to £4 million to this ~£19 million, MRC-led cross-council Foundation call in Global Health Science. This call provides an opportunity for investigators to develop new or expand existing strands of ODA applicable research and partnerships targeting LMIC infectious disease priorities.
As you can see below, there is significant overlap with our remit.
We are open to supporting new research in any area of health. There are no areas of global NCD research which are so well developed that they are a lower priority for new funding. However, to illustrate the research opportunities, there are some overlapping areas where there are obvious gaps in knowledge and where UK research, in partnership, should be well placed to contribute:
- cardiovascular and metabolic research
- cancers of high prevalence in LMICs
- mental health and neurocognitive development
- adolescent, maternal, and childhood health
- impacts of demographic/behavioural changes across the lifecourse (including food and nutrition, malnutrition, obesity and physical activity) and cultural factors, with a focus on maintaining health
- environmental change - urbanisation, rural change, climate change, environmental degradation
- technologies, designs and methods suited to LMICs - including opportunities for informatics, user-led service design in research and health policy support; biomedical technologies; new forms of data; research tools and methods.
How to apply
This call is closed to applications.
For further details on this call, including how to apply, eligibility and assessment criteria, please visit the MRC website (see external links).
MRC are leading the peer review on behalf of BBSRC and the other funders, but if you would like to speak to BBSRC Office about potential applications please use the contact below.