BBSRC-Brazil (FAPESP) joint funding of research
Call status: Open
Application deadline: 23 June 2020, 16:00
Funded through responsive mode
UK Research and Innovation and FAPESP, the State of Säo Paulo Research Foundation, have agreed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to welcome, encourage and support applications that may cut across their national boundaries and involve international collaborative teams.
The MoU provides for a 'Lead Agency Agreement' whereby the relevant UK research council will receive and assess collaborative proposals from eligible institutions on behalf of both organisations. FAPESP nominated experts will be involved with the peer review and decision making processes throughout. For further information see the MoU (see external links).
BBSRC will accept applications under the terms of the MoU for responsive mode grants at any time (see application deadlines in related links).
- Collaborative research proposals may be submitted in any area of science that is within the remit of both BBSRC and FAPESP
- Deadlines are the same as for standard responsive mode proposals (see our application deadlines page in the related links section). The usual guidance for responsive mode applications applies, with the addition of the bullets below
- Proposals should be submitted by the UK PI to BBSRC and by the São Paulo PI to FAPESP
- BBSRC will take the lead role in processing and assessing applications, with appropriate input from FAPESP. A decision on bilateral proposals will be made by the Committee Chairs as per BBSRC's usual process
- Proposals approved for funding will be jointly supported by BBSRC and FAPESP
- Feedback regarding an application will be sent directly to FAPESP after the panel meeting, as well as the UK applicants.
- The usual eligibility criteria apply for BBSRC applicants
- To receive support from FAPESP, the Brazilian partners must be based at an institution eligible for FAPESP support. These are higher education and research organisations, public or non-profit in the State of Säo Paulo.
How to apply
Visit our 'How to apply' page to submit your application through our electronic submission system.
- Start the title with 'Bilateral BBSRC-FAPESP:' and submit your proposal via Je-S:
- Select Council: 'BBSRC'
- Select Document Type: 'Standard Proposal'
- Select Scheme: 'Responsive Mode'
- Select Call/Type Mode: 'Responsive Mode [deadline]'
- In the Document Menu select 'Classifications' and then 'Grant Type'
- Select FAPESP from the list.
- Include a cover letter stating that the proposal is to be considered under the terms of the BBSRC-FAPESP agreement
- Applicants should consult the Operation of the UKRI-FAPESP Lead Agency Agreement guidance note (see downloads)
- Include CVs of all named researchers, both UK and Brazilian (max 2 pages per CV)
- The State of Säo Paulo based researchers should complete the FAPESP consolidated budget spreadsheet (see downloads), which should be included as a letter of support in Je-S
- The State of São Paulo based researchers should fill out their applications on SAGe, and save the online form as a PDF. This should also be included as a letter of support in Je-S.
Applications are processed alongside other responsive mode applications. Application deadlines are therefore the same as responsive mode applications. Responsive mode deadlines can be found on our 'Apply for funding' page (see related links).
For further information about FAPESP visit the FAPESP website (see external links).