Biotechnology for a sustainable bioeconomy
Call status: Closed
Previous call: 1 December 2016 - 20 July 2017
Announcement of the ERA-Net Cofund on Biotechnologies call for transnational collaborative research projects
This co-funded call with an indicative budget of approximately €36.3 million brings together 21 funding organisations from 18 countries. BBSRC contribution is up to £2 million.
Aim and scope
The aim of the co-funded call is to contribute to transforming the global economy from a dependence on fossil raw material to a sustainable bio-based economy. The submitted pre-proposals must be multidisciplinary and they will include at least one of the following scientific approaches:
- Synthetic biology
- Systems biology
- Use of bioinformatic tools for the identification and utilisation of metabolic pathways
- Biotechnological approaches (possibly in combination with chemical ones).
The co-funded call covers industrial biotechnology. Applications must address one of the topics described below:
- Sustainable production and conversion of different types of feedstocks and bioresources
- New products, value-added products and supply services
- Sustainable industrial processes.
The projects should fall within Technology Readiness Levels (TRL) three-six, although projects are not necessarily required to cover the whole range. Industry engagement should be appropriate for the TRL range being investigated.
How to apply
This call is closed to applications.
The application process is two-phased (pre- and full proposal phase):
- First, a pre-proposal must be submitted electronically via the ERA CoBioTech submission website by 2 March 2017, 13:00 CET
- Successful pre-proposals will then be invited to submit a full proposal. Only invited full proposals will be accepted
Standard BBSRC eligibility rules apply.
Further information on the call announcement and the application and evaluation processes can be found in the call announcement and guidelines for applicants documents.